Saturday, November 19, 2011

Just a Mom

Mommy-hood has been rolling along splendidly; Elijah is the greatest big brother I could have ever hoped for and Isaiah is getting more animated everyday. I feel so blessed to be able to stay home and spend every day basking in the goofy crazy world of my boys, for me, it's what I was made for. For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to be a wife and mother, it's been my 'career' of choice and I'm lucky enough to be living my dream. Sure I do what I can to make some extra money from home and in a few years when the boys are in school (or possible sooner if finances demand it),  I'll get myself what the world considers a 'real' job but nothing has called out to me more or given me more joy than being a mom.
My problem lies with the view of a homemaker. What about being a stay at home mom says "I sit around drinking wine, getting pedicures, and gossiping all day"??  I've worked 'real' jobs before and none of them can compete with the challenge and energy required to stay home with a toddler and baby..... all while keeping the house clean, laundry folded, dinner made, toilet scrubbed, naps taken, and melt downs comforted. In the last few years I've heard this numerous times
"what do you do?"
-"I stay at home"
"oh you're just a mom"
Really?? Just a mom?! What could possibly be more important than raising your child? I'd much rather pass on the financial advantages of working to be able to insure my child feels loved and secure and turns out a happy and successful person in life. I also can't stand the thought of missing out on all the little milestones that could possibly happen while I'm at work.  I'm not saying it's bad for moms to work- not at all. What I'm saying is that there should be the same amount of respect for a homemaker as there is for a dental hygienist, photographer, manager, waitress, etc.
I saw a article awhile back that described motherhood like this:
"constant attention, from getting them out of bed, fed, cleaned,  dressed; to keeping them out of harm's way; to answering their coos, cries, questions; to having two arms and carrying one kid one set of car keys and supplies for even the quickest trips... keeping them from unshelving items at the store, enforcing rest times, staying one step ahead of them lest they get too hungry, tired, or bored.  It's needing 45 minutes to do what takes others 15.  it's constant vigilance, constant touch, constant use of your voice, constant relegation of your needs to the second tier. It's constant scrutiny and second-guessing from family and friends.  It's resisting constant temptation to seek short term relief at everyone's long term expense. It's doing ALL this while concurrently teaching virtually everything- language, manners, safety, resourcefulness, discipline, curiosity, creativity, empathy. Everything."
It's also a choice and a great, great joy, but to anyone who has ever been a mom with NO babysitter and NO family close by to help out- IT IS A JOB. And not an 8-5 job. It's 24 hours, no breaks, no sick days, no weekends. Luckily, I have an amazing husband who is an equally amazing father to lend a hand when he's home.
It's hard work but there is no hourly wage that could take place of the feeling of accomplishment and love at the end of each day (including the days full of meltdowns- both mommy and child meltdowns).
I love what I do. I chose to do what I do. I was made to do what I do. I refuse to be disrespected for what I do. I would never blatantly disrespect someone's job, no matter what they do.  The way I see it, those who look down on a house wife have never experienced what it is truly like to be one. This is the greatest and most important job I will ever have- hands down.

“Life affords no greater responsibility, no greater privilege, than the raising of the next generation.” 
- C. Everett Koop


No comments:

Post a Comment